Academics and Student Affairs

Independent Studies (CS5974)

Some degree options allow credit toward the degree for an Independent Study (CS5974). In those cases CS 5974 is offered only as Pass/Fail credit with a variable number of credit hours (1 to 3). An Independent Study requires the student to enroll in CS 5974 for 3 credit hours and obtain a commitment from a CS professor to sponsor the study. A CS 5974 independent study request form must be submitted prior to the start of the semester in which the Independent Study will be taken.

A CS graduate student can do an independent study under a professor outside the CS department but in a topic relevant to the CS major if the following two criteria are met:

(1) The content is appropriate for credit towards a CS degree.

(2) A CS faculty member agrees to be the formal sponsor of the course. The person who signs the independent study approval form as the supervisor of the work must be a CS faculty member. Even though the work is mainly done with another person, the CS faculty member must be the responsible party within our department.

For more recent information and details on the department's academic procedures and system visit The GPC website